Advocates working with men on telephone or online helplines may encounter particular challenges to engaging men who have had unwanted or abusive sexual experiences.
This workshop includes:
- A discussion of specific scenarios and issues that might arise working with male survivors in crisis.
- An examination of misunderstandings and fears that might discourage a man from disclosing sexual abuse experiences.
- An assessment of ways that core skills might be modified to work more effectively with male survivors.
- A review of the effects of sexual trauma on male survivors and how it sometimes differs from the effects on female survivors.
- An exploration of socialized biases and beliefs about men that might impact participants’ effectiveness in working with male survivors.