Join a Support Group
As part of ongoing innovation at 1in6 we’re providing the ‘Online Peer SupportGroup’ (PSG) for men who are seeking a community of support as well as information and resources related to unwanted or abusive sexual experiences in childhood.
PSG is peer support group program designed for male survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Its purpose is to support men in their journey of trauma recovery.
To assist participants in this goal, professional counselors will facilitate discussions with participants about issues relevant to their experience of abuse, and their current efforts in recovery.
With its focus on mutual support, participants will benefit from informed guidance by the counsellors, and be guided in their understanding of the process of trauma recovery.
There is no assessment process to participate in PSG.
The PSG program will operate for ten weeks. Each session is ninety minutes long. Participants are asked to commit to the entire ten weeks.
What services does the Online Peer SupportGroup provide?
- Mutual support with a safe community for men who've had similar unwanted experiences
- Completely private and anonymous participation
- Clinically sound facilitation by a licensed therapist
- An exploration of coping mechanisms and communication and interpersonal skills
- Information concerning family and friends and their role in supporting a person who may have had unwanted or abusive sexual experiences
- Answers to your questions about recovering from childhood sexual abuse
- Information about medical, emotional and behavioral issues related to abusive experiences
- Referrals to resources in your area (when available)
To join an Online Peer SupportGroup, please choose one of the currently open groups from the list below, then return to this page at the session time and click on the arrow at the top of this section to join the session. To help assure participants' sense of consistency and safety, we encourage you to choose only one of the groups, and to attend the full ten weeks with that group.
Times: 7:00 - 8:30 PM Pacific Time
Dates: October 6, 2015 - December 8, 2015
Times: 6:00 - 7:30 PM Eastern Time
Dates: October 7, 2015 - December 9, 2015
Please note that the Online Peer SupportGroup is designed as a peer-support group, not group therapy. 1in6 will provide a licensed therapist as a facilitator during the sessions, only to offer information, answer questions, and assist in keeping the discussion on track. The facilitator's presence is not intended to provide an experience that would replace or substitute for regular group or individual therapy. We encourage Online Peer SupportGroup members to access therapy with a licensed clinician whenever possible.