1in6 in the Community
Nevada Community Foundation
Las Vegas, NV: June 27, 2013
Los Angeles, CA: August 28–30, 2013
1in6 Monthly Webinars
July 10th, 10:30 AM (PDT)
September 11th, 10:30 AM (PDT)
August 14th, 10:30 AM (PDT)
October 9th, 10:30 AM (PDT)
Contact Martha Lucia Marin at martha(at)1in6.org to register for info on upcoming webinars.
Organization specific presentations available upon request.
A showing of Big Voice Pictures’ “Boys and Men Healing,” an emotionally powerful, inspiring and hopeful film that intimately portrays three men’s dynamic recoveries from traumatic childhood sexual experiences, followed by an interactive discussion of challenges male survivors face.
90– or 120-minute breakout workshop, offered in collaboration with Big Voice Pictures and built around their emotionally powerful and hopeful film, “Boys and Men Healing,” an intimate portrayal of three men’s dynamic recoveries from traumatic boyhood sexual experiences
Through interactive discussion about challenges male survivors face, as portrayed in the film, participants explore:
- Internal and socialized barriers to accessing effective treatment
- Influences of race, nationality, class, sexual orientation, immigration status and ability on impact and response
- How to find and assess available resources
- Guidance about talking supportively with a man about his experiences
Appropriate for all levels of expertise.
- Describe internal and socialized barriers to accessing effective treatment
- Highlight the positive and negative influences of race, nationality, class, sexual orientation, immigration status and ability on impact and response to childhood sexual trauma
- Provide information about how to find and assess available resources
- Describe key factors in talking supportively with a man about his experiences
Participants will be able to:
- Identify 4 barriers related to the socialized norms about manhood that may make it challenging for men to seek help for having been sexually abused as a child
- Describe 3 possible long-term effects of childhood sexual abuse for men
- Identify at least 3 positive steps a man can take towards healing
- Describe 3 ways a partner, friend or family member could support a man’s healing process
Appropriate for all levels of expertise
90 minutes or 120 minutes
For additional information please contact:
Steve LePore at Steve(at)1in6.org